Saturday, June 30, 2007

The Bean Trees by Barbara Kingsolver

I had never read a Kingsolver novel before, but have been guiltily eying the Oprah's Book Club stash at our local library for several months. It seems like she has a major glitch for Toni Morrison, which is understandable, since she's a fascinating author. But sitting there, patiently biding its time among the bestickered collection, was The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver. See, this is the best thing about the library. I think to myself, "Who have I always wanted to read but just haven't yet?" Kingsolver would be one of those names!
So for the past two weeks, I've been picking up speed through The Bean Trees. I didn't exactly what to expect from the novel...the back cover made it sound like things could easily go sour on me in the minor odyssey.
I am happy to report that I really loved this book in the most pure sense. It was, first of all, full of newly realized truths for me about living in the desert. The simplistic beauty of it married with the ever-present thirst in your soul to see, feel, or even smell some water. But the story was also unique and touching. I finished the last page and thought, "Now that makes me me feel good."

No comments: